Preventing counterfeiting online
Selling counterfeit products is a trillion-dollar business, accounting for around 5-7% of world trade. This illicit commerce is costing legitimate businesses hundreds of billions of dollars annually. According to an article in the World Trademark Review, one in every four online purchases involves pirated goods. You will find more background on counterfeiting and the scale of the problem here.
You cannot stop criminals from trying to hijack your brand, but you can prevent them from succeeding. Combating the sale and promotion of pirated goods is an investment in both time and money. But in many situations, the actual amount will pale in comparison to the financial harm done to your brand equity if you choose not to act.
The first steps in preventing counterfeiting online
The first thing to do is to register your Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) – such as patents, trademarks, designs and more – in key markets. That way, you will be ready to pursue a more reactive strategy if you need to, including removing illicit listings from a variety of sales channels and/or taking legal action against suspected offenders.
basic measure is to set up a brand protection team. Involve senior management and appoint a Brand Protection Manager (if you have not already done so). Counterfeit sales impact revenues, but more importantly they undermine trust, the foundation of any successful brand.
Below are links to the next steps of preventing counterfeiting online, such as should you do it yourself or consult an expert, how to identify counterfeits and protecting yourself in places like China.
- Do it yourself or consult an expert?
- How to identify counterfeit sales online
- How to protect your brand in China
- How to protect your brand on social media platforms
- How to react if your brand is a victim of counterfeiting?
- How to report infringements on 1688
- How to report infringements on Alibaba
- How to report infringements on Aliexpress
- How to report infringements on Amazon
- How to report infringements on App Store (Apple)
- How to report infringements on Blackberry World
- How to report infringements on E-bay
- How to report infringements on Google Play
- How to report infringements on Taobao
- How to report infringements on Tmall
- How to report infringements on Windows Store
- How to stop online brand abuse
- How to stop the sale of counterfeit goods at online marketplaces
- Which proactive measures support anti-counterfeiting online?